Pavement is considered such a worthless thing by some people. According to them, why waste money on something which you only walk by. The concept of pavements is often rare for domestic purpose, but for people working in large firms and industries, pavements are something important. They provide you a smooth platform on which you can easily pass in your cars, they won’t damage the tires of your car and you won’t face any hurdles while moving on it.
People living in houses also like to renovate their pavement. Those who have big houses, do commercial paving in front of their houses. Some like to renovate their garage cabinets, garage storage and some renovate different other parts of the houses like dining rooms and bedrooms. It all depends upon their taste. One of the special ways of commercially renovating your pavement is permeable pavements. These are special pavements designed in a very unique way. It contains two bases. Lower base is made of special material which absorbs harmful chemicals. Upper base is smooth providing your tires, a firm grip. These are so expensive that normally domestic people don’t install them in their houses. They can be only afforded commercially.
Following are the advantages and disadvantages:
- They can easily manage runoff. They are very effective when installed in the areas which suffer from heavy monsoon rainfall. Ordinary pavements won’t give you the facility to manage runoffs. Water will stay there and makes it difficult to move. It also destroys the original shape of the pavement and makes it hard to maintain its smooth surface.
- It also gives you the opportunity to control pollutants. They help to keep the environment clean in a way that they don’t allow harmful ingredients to absorb into the ground. Instead, they hold them in their base and help to clean the environment from the harmful effects of toxins.
- As permeable pavement has two bases, and between those two, it is hollow ground. They provide you the opportunity to grow trees and other plants in between them. The hollow space between those two bases allows the roots of trees spread widely and helps to control pollution. So in a way they hold you close to the nature as well.
As it has advantages, it has many disadvantages too.
- As it provides you this much facility, on the other hand it costs you a lot too. Ordinary pavements are not good with drainage, but they don’t cost you your fortune.
- As we know it is made up of two bases and they are hollow in between, it can’t handle the weight of trucks and buses. They are only designed to carry the weight of cars.
- Sometimes the runoff volumes increase and it damages the pavement from the lower side making it hard to repair.
- It is very hard to maintain this type of pavements. Although they are very expensive, but they are short lived as well.